Today, getting a job, you need to go through a rather lengthy and tedious procedure. The first step in this process is to write a resume and send it to the employer. However, not everyone knows exactly what is resume, how such a document looks, as well as what information and in what form it is necessary to include in it. This is what we will talk about in our material. And also in the article, you will find examples of successfully composed documents of this type.
What is resume?
A resume is a document necessary for finding a job. Often it is abbreviated as CV. So, if we turn to the Latin meaning of the word curriculum vitae, then it can literally be translated as “the course of life.”
In this regard, we can conclude that a resume is a document that contains a description of your life path (for the most part professional).
A resume is an opportunity to express oneself favorably in the eyes of the employer. When applying for a particular position, each applicant undergoes thorough internal and external screening (verification). That is why it is worth entering only honest and truthful data into the resume. If you ignore this rule, and the check will conclude a determination about your professional and personal abilities, which will go against the information contained in the document for employment, then you will not only not receive the desired position, but also can completely destroy your business and professional reputation.
A number of requirements and rules are put forward for compiling a resume, which must be observed.
- It is very important that this document is correctly composed from a grammatical point of view. There should be no mistakes in spelling words and punctuation marks, as well as no typos. Reread the document several times before sending it. Ask your loved ones about it.
- The document is compiled briefly and concisely. It does not need to include excessively detailed information about your personal life and biography.
- When writing a document, you must follow the rules and principles of the official business style of the language. You can not use colloquial phrases and artistic techniques.
- The document for employment should be clear and easy to read. That is why it is so important to comply with the structure with its blocks.
- The stylish and minimalistic design will highlight your resume among the documents of other applicants. Use the same font throughout the document, as well as the same type of alignment.
Traditionally, a resume consists of several required blocks. Among them:
- name, surname, and patronymic;
- contact information (city of residence, email, phone, instant messengers);
- desired position and responsibilities;
- education (university, college, additional courses, training, master classes);
- work experience (previous places of work with the company name, clarification of position and time of work are indicated in chronological order);
- professional skills (for example, knowledge of office computer programs or a foreign language);
- hobbies and hobbies (reading, sports, fishing);
- personal qualities (sociability, stress tolerance, focus on results, perseverance);
- additional information (readiness for business trips or moving, availability of a vehicle and driver’s license, and so on).
However, it should be borne in mind that the list of these categories is not strictly defined and mandatory. The thing is that, depending on the specific subspecies of the resume, the content of the document may be modified.
You May Also Like : Sell Me Something Interview Question : Sell Me This Pen 2020
Types and their main features of resume
Consider the most common types of resumes, as well as understand how they differ from each other.
- Professional or universal. This type of resume is considered one of the most common. Often on the Internet, you will find examples of professional resumes. This type is recommended to be made to those people who have higher or secondary specialized education, as well as work experience. A professional resume is divided into clearly delineated blocks, which are sequentially filled in and form the so-called document structure.
- Chronological. Such a resume is chosen by specialists who have impressive experience in one field and want to continue their professional activities within its framework. When compiling such a document, the main emphasis is recommended to be done precisely on the “Work Experience” block. Here, in chronological order, you must specify all previous places of work with the name of specific companies, with the specification of positions and the number of years of work.
- Functional. A functional resume is suitable for those specialists who want to highlight their extraordinary professional skills and abilities, as well as talk about unusual work experience.
- Chronologically functional. This view combines the characteristics of the two varieties of resumes described above.
- Targeted. A targeted resume should be prepared when you apply for a specific position. In this sense, it is important to carefully and carefully fill out the section “Vacancy and Responsibilities that interest you”.
- Academic. An academic summary is made up of all science ministers, teachers, and students. For its compilation, it is important to have extensive educational experience (undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, courses and so on). In addition, it is customary to include in the academic summary all available scientific achievements: victories at olympiads and conferences, scientific publications, discoveries or inventions.
- Video summary. Such a resume is relevant for those who are looking for work in the media field. For example, often a similar subspecies of a document for a job is chosen by actors, television presenters, models, journalists, singers.
- Infographics. An infographic summary makes it possible to present all the information about yourself in the form of diagrams, graphs, and pictures. Often, such a resume is perceived at times simpler than usual – written.
- International standard CV. An international CV must be drawn up when applying for an international company. It must indicate knowledge of foreign languages.
Writing a resume is a pretty difficult task. Moreover, it is even more difficult to determine the specific type of document. To choose a drafting template, carefully read the job description (sometimes the employer requires the submission of a particular variety).
In addition, you should focus on the scope of activities, as well as on your personal goals.
English Resume Template
You can talk endlessly about how it should be, but it’s much more efficient (and more convenient for you) to publish an example resume in English. Looking at this template, pay attention to what items and in what order it contains:
- Personal information. Personal information: name and surname, age, contact details. Here you need a photo.
- Objective The purpose of your resume is the position you are applying for. Sometimes you can meet the advice to make a rationale for this item, but this is rather appropriate in CV.
- Education . The education you received after high school, that is, is professional. Educational institutions and diplomas are listed in reverse order (from the most recent to the first).
- Qualifications . Additional qualifications – courses, seminars, master classes that can be directly or indirectly useful in the work.
- Work experience. Professional experience indicating the time of work in each position. Also in the reverse order.
- Personal qualities . Personal qualities. This item, oddly enough, causes the most hitches. On the one hand, I do not want to enter standard and therefore impersonal properties into it. On the other hand, it would not be appropriate to praise yourself either. Therefore, indicate those qualities that are objectively necessary for the specialist in your position. For example, for a development manager – ambitiousness, initiative; for the designer – courage and sense of style (courage, sense of style), for the economist – attentiveness, etc.
- Special skills. Special (additional skills). An optional item to which it is desirable to add the level of knowledge of foreign languages (which, in addition to English), driving experience and so on.
- Awards. Awards in the professional field. However, if you are the owner of a gold medal of the World Olympiad, do not forget to mention this.
- Research experience. Scientific activity. Research, patents, monographs. Actual only for relevant specialties.
- Publications. Publications If you have something to say, then first the title of the publication, then the year of publication and the name of the publication.
- Memberships. Membership in organizations and unions. Indicate the name of the trade union or public organization. If you are not a member of any – just skip this item, it is not too important.
To the resume itself, it is highly advisable to attach References , that is, recommendations. They can supplement or replace a cover letter to the resume. Naturally, we need recommendations in English. Therefore, if previous employers provided you with them in Russian, literally translate the cover letter into English.
You May Also Like: Latest Job Interview Tips: How To Successfully Pass Job Interview?
Examples of Resume/CV
English Teacher Resume
Bonus: Write Resume Online
In order to correctly compose a resume and get the desired position, it is important to use all the advice and recommendations of specialists, as well as focus on successfully drawn up samples. In addition, you should not completely copy the templates from the Internet. Your resume should be as individualized and personalized as possible.