In the process of compiling a resume, applicants quite often make serious mistakes, the sections “work experience” and “education” do not count. The main things that the HR manager and company manager pay special attention to are “key skills”. in this article we discuss How To List Skills In Resume and Examples Of Skills In Resume.
It is this part of the presentation document that makes it clear how competent the applicant is in the position and field of activity he is interested in.
What Is Skills In Resume?
When compiling the section “key skills” in the resume, it is important to indicate information about your knowledge and skills. Superficial phrases, in this case, are inappropriate, especially when the position you are interested in belongs to the leading industry. There are times when the applicant indicates information about personal qualities in this section. For example, a great sense of humor. Such a self-presentation is suitable for those who wish to become the hosts of an entertainment show because these words easily fit into the “key skills” of showmen. But for lawyers or teachers, this characteristic is not suitable.
Recommended For You: Strengths And Weaknesses In Interview | Tips To Figure Out
The information presented in the section on professional knowledge is an important component of any resume. The employer must familiarize himself with this section in order to understand what a potential employee is capable of, because it is here that the experience gained from previous work is reflected. For this reason, it is extremely important to correctly fill out this section of the self-presentation document.
You should not indicate general phrases that characterize professional skills. Firstly, it repels the employer. Secondly, casts a shadow on the applicant. The recruiter will probably think that the person who sent the resume did not leave his past work himself, but he was asked to leave due to the lack of elementary concepts about the scope of the company.
For people who do not know how to formulate phrases about their key skills, a small tip is offered. These phrases, in principle, can be called generalized. However, you should not use them all. It is better to indicate the truthful data on the accumulated knowledge from the previous place of work and dilute this list with characteristics suitable for the position of interest:
- knowledge of the intricacies of interpersonal business communication;
- ability to organize working hours;
- the ability to analyze what is necessary to solve business issues;
- Successful 7 years of leadership experience.
When preparing a resume for the position of interest, the applicant seeks to show himself in the best possible light. However, the key skills of a potential employee are not always consistent with a vacancy. And in order to be sure to get an invitation to an interview, you need to know one important nuance: the employer, placing an advertisement for the search for an employee, prescribes what the future subordinate should know. Just these requirements need to be slightly rephrased and presented in the “key skills” section.
Basic rules for filling in key skills in resume
When compiling the section “key skills” and best answer to How To List Skills In Resume it is necessary to correctly and, most importantly, effectively present information about your own professional knowledge.
- Firstly, it is necessary to adhere to a concise approach . It is enough to indicate 7-8 basic knowledge. Searching with the number of professional characteristics will turn the section into a difficult to read text. A smaller set of key skills will cause the employer doubts about the competence of the applicant.
- Secondly, the professional knowledge presented in the resume should correspond to the requirements of the vacancy in question . You should not write about the skills of the pastry chef if the applicant wants to become an advertising manager. When familiarizing yourself with the “key skills” section, a human resources officer should immediately understand what position the person applying for the resume is applying for.
- Thirdly, it is important to present the “key skills” section in a presentable manner . The description of each individual skill should be straightforward, drawn up in a beautiful form. It is advisable to use more figures and facts, which are confirmed by letters of recommendation from former employers. For example, “extensive sales experience” sounds ridiculous. From this phrase it is not clear what exactly the applicant did in past jobs. It’s best to point out that “For 6 years he has been in the leading position of the sales department consisting of 15 people.” Here it is already more clear in what area the applicant worked and what he did.
Do not forget about the psychological approach to the compilation of the summary section “key skills”.
A man in a self-presentation document must indicate his strong character and fortitude. Girls should hint at stress tolerance, perseverance and perseverance.
But the main thing is that these characteristics are veiled with clear and understandable phrases that characterize the applicant from a professional perspective. The employer will certainly be impressed by the special presentation of key skills. It is these characteristics that can play a decisive role in accepting an applicant for a vacant post.
You May Also Like: Professional Tips For Interview On Skype And By Phone
Examples Of Skills In Resume
There are a number of professional and technical skills that have a generalized form. They can be used in almost any resume. One way or another, but these characteristics will be useful, especially when the key skills are less than the required standard.
- Knowledge of a foreign language . This skill is indicated by translators. However, the ability to understand foreigners and communicate with them is also suitable for lawyers or sales managers of international companies.
- The ability to make a budget . Procurement managers or economists may indicate this characteristic.
- Skills for inventory activities . This characteristic can be written in the resume by the applicant for the position of procurement manager or office manager.
- The skill of developing commercial offers for customers . This characteristic mainly applies to managers to attract customers and heads of sales departments.
- Negotiation experience . Skill corresponding to the position of manager.
- Direct sales experience . Most often, this phrase is used by applicants for the position of sales assistant and sales representative.
- The skill of persuasion . This professional trait is suitable for a person looking for himself in sales.
- Ability to work with primary data . This characteristic corresponds to copywriters, office managers or designers.
However, this list is far from complete. There are many skills that correspond to different vacancies:
- knowledge of a programming language;
- business experience in oral and written forms;
- knowledge of the rules for compiling client bases;
- ability to quickly find the required information;
- reporting experience;
- experience of quick search of information on competitors.
Of course, such key skills are not suitable for the courier. Potential employees of the delivery department should preferably indicate in their resume the ability to navigate the area, the ability to lay optimal routes, experience with cash registers and knowledge of etiquette. However, there are specialties where generalized skills are inappropriate . For example, an electrician. He must have special knowledge corresponding to such a serious position. Of course, there are exceptions, but only if the position of electrician implies a wider range of work.
But in no case should you confuse professional characteristics with personal qualities, no matter how good they are . This nuance is also important, because a potential leader, having seen even a slight discrepancy in sections, can throw the resume aside.
It is worth noting that key skills are divided into several groups.
When describing communication skills, it is important to understand their differences from skills. Skills – this is what a person learned in the process of work. Skill is a skill brought to perfection.
The following is proposed to get acquainted with the skills related to the communicative group:
- the ability to resolve conflict disputes and issues in a short time;
- negotiation skills;
- ability to discuss with potential customers;
- experience in conducting events of a public scale;
- the ability to listen carefully and convince a partner of their innocence.
These skills allow the employer to verify the competence of a potential employee:
- the skill of conducting projects of high complexity;
- ability to solve multiple problems of varying complexity;
- practical experience with large amounts of information;
- the ability to think a few steps forward;
- the skill of planning a team workflow.
Another skill suitable for the organizing group is budgeting. This characteristic is extremely important for large companies working with many partners and having a large customer base.
Leadership skills correspond to leadership positions. And in this case, writing everything that comes to mind is strictly prohibited. It is necessary to carefully weigh each phrase in order to make it clear to the future boss about his professional features:
- Knowledge of foreign languages;
- skill in working with legal and legislative documents;
- skill in managing people;
- ability to motivate subordinates.
In this group there are many professional characteristics that resemble a generalized form:
- PC knowledge at the advanced user level;
- knowledge of office and professional programs;
- possession of office equipment;
- conducting business communication in print;
- Knowledge of foreign languages;
- knowledge of the law;
- knowledge of GOSTs, SNIPs;
- “Blind” printing of text in several languages.
In addition to professional skills, there is a list of other knowledge that the employer also welcomes when selecting a new employee in the staff of his company. Many confuse them with personal qualities, respectively, indicate in another section of the resume:
- attentiveness to any nuances;
- Analytical mind;
- management skill.
Recommendations on How To List Skills In Resume
Before starting a resume, it is important to carefully read the requirements of the employer. Quite often, a company in search of a new employee indicates what skills a candidate for a free position should possess. These professional characteristics need to be entered only in the section “key skills”. For example, the ad sets a requirement for the applicant to “know English”. A person who wants to take this position should mention in the resume about the ability to organize a visa for management if this is actually the case. Certainly, such a requirement for a potential employee was stated with good reason. Most likely, the company works with foreign partners, which necessarily requires not only conversational, but also a written way of communication.
In no case should you steal the finished text from other resumes . The recruiter of the recruiting agency or the HR manager will surely find out cheating. If you can’t make up the required number of skills, you can dilute the actual knowledge with generalized skills. If necessary, they can be slightly adjusted. The main thing is that the information in the “key skills” section matches the position you are interested in.
If a resume is handed to a recruiter in a recruitment agency, it is important to remember that the search for a candidate for an application from employers is based on keywords. It follows that the list of key skills should consist of common phrases corresponding to business etiquette. An important condition – the list of skills must match the desired position. It is inappropriate to write accuracy if the applicant is interested in the vacancy of the head. But for the secretary, this characteristic is quite consistent. For a more detailed consideration of this nuance, it is proposed to get acquainted with some posts that require special knowledge.
Today, a fairly popular position, but not for everyone. People with a quick-tempered and impulsive character do not even pass the probationary period, they independently refuse this work and leave. Great success in direct sales is achieved by sanguine and phlegmatic people.
Sales consultants need to be able to interest the customer, be able to listen to the customer’s objections, know how to resolve conflict situations, be able to identify consumer needs and help in choosing a product.
The position is very difficult, but very interesting. Not every person is able to prove himself in this field of activity. And just like that it is impossible to become an economist. It is necessary to have a higher education and have a penchant for analytical thinking.
The economist’s CV should contain only professional skills , namely: PC ownership, computer program knowledge, ability to work with bank accounts, keep relevant records, plan and keep records of regular payments, and conclude agreements with clients and service providers.
A complex profession requiring only professional skills from the applicant. For example, experience in personnel management. In this case, it is necessary to indicate the number of people who were subordinate . The skill of successfully creating a sales department indicates the high potential of a candidate for a managerial position.
You can also supplement the section “key skills” with the phrases “experience in market research” and “fulfillment of a sales plan”.
When creating a resume, it is extremely important to draw a clear line between the professional skills and personal qualities of the applicant . Sure, they are interconnected, but nevertheless professional characteristics speak of knowledge and skills in work, and personal qualities demonstrate developed character traits. Further it is offered to consider some interesting examples of resumes of applicants, as well as a sample with a mistake.
First of all, you should get acquainted with the resume, where there is a clear boundary between professional skills and personal qualities. Desired position – accountant. The form is delimited by separate blocks, where the item on education is paramount, then on work experience. Below is the section “professional skills”. In this case, the applicant clearly and clearly spoke about his knowledge in the accounting field. The section “personal qualities”, as it should be, is located at the very bottom. The only drawback is sociability and punctuality are indicated in the personal description, although these indicators are skills belonging to an additional group.
The second version of the resume is described as fully as possible, but the section “professional skills” turned out to be meager and uninteresting.
Even if you transfer information from the “about yourself” section, it will not be possible to make a list of key skills from the set 7-8 points.